Friday, March 18, 2011

Laundry Day

I have discovered I love consistency in chores.  This has been big change for me as I tend to go with the flow and do things as they need to be done :-)

Thursday's in our house is laundry and clean the up-stairs.  I really like Thursday's!  There is something about getting to clean my own room that I love.  Clean sheets, vacuuming, cleaning my bathroom and closet.  There is something wonderful about order.

Now for you this may just be the way you live but for me this was revolutionary.  I have always been a fly by the seat of your pants girl.  Doing thing when they needed to be done or when I had time.  But I don't know many people who says "Oh I have a couple of minutes I think I'll clean my room."  Not in my house anyway.

But over the last year I have discovered that I truly enjoy order and the tidiness that comes with consistency in chores.  I also have found that with a plan everything get's done.  This is not rocket science and I've "known" of this for years but putting it into practice is another issue. 

With a family of 7 there seems to be a lot of stuff around so I've spend the last few months purging our house of unwanted or unneeded items.   We've been to the dump 2 times in the last month as part of the purge, countless items to the consignment stores or goodwill, and have given other items away to friends or family.  It feels so good.

Now I just need a bunch of bins to store the stuff we're keeping in and everything will have a home. :-)

Also last night was big for me, I unpacked all but one box that was sitting in my room.  We have been in this house for a year now and I've been looking at these boxes of "stuff" the whole time as they are in our master bedroom.  I've been dreading it!  They are boxes with stuff from the last 15 years....2 garbage bags later I only have one box left!  Yippee me!  Now that last box will be emptied next Thursday when I deep clean my room again.

I don't know about you but I always thought I couldn't get rid of anything or that I just couldn't keep my house that clean. (Sterile yes, tidy no)  I don't know if it's age, having 5 kids, or just living in a very functional home that has shown me that I can do those things.  And I actually like it.  There is peace in having a tidy home.

I'm loving learning as I go.  I hope your learning amazing things too....

1 comment: