Thursday, March 17, 2011

Little Heathens

I would like to take a moment to introduce you to one of my favorite authors Mildred Armstrong Kalish.
 She is the author of the book "Little Heathens - Hard times and high spirits on an Iowa Farm during the Great Depression"  it is a treasury of American history.  I've looked long and hard for a book that covers a time not talked about by our Grand parents or Great Grand parents.  But a time that we could learn so much from.
 
Mildred goes by the name Millie Kalish and I think she too is a treasure.  Honestly I've read and reread many of her passages because they are full of life wisdom and history that we need to know and understand.  As I recently contacted her I'll share my email with you.
 
Thank you for writing such a wonderful, useful and encouraging book!  I have been searching for a book just like yours and have been delighted to read it.  I have laughed, cried, shared your stories, and underlined your recipes. I can't wait to make marsh-mellows .
What started my search for how to live a simpler life has been spurred by our current economic times.  Your book entails things that have been lost to the later generations but will be needed again.  And they are the things I have always been drawn to. The space to reply is limited so I just wanted to say "Thank You".  Your book has been a blessing to me and to those I have shared it with.

Sincerely

That in a nut shell is what I think of her book.

My kids have loved the passages I've read to them...especially the Halloween Outhouse tipping. I would suggest this book to anyone who is interested in how to live life with less and be content.  To work and play hard and to understand a generation that has had such an effect on us today.  We have so much to learn from them. 


Millie was 5 years old when the story begins as her life changed radically.  She became aware of the Great Depression not understanding what it was when she was 6.  But she saw the effect it was having on her family and those around her.  "Little Heathens" is her contribution to history as she writes first hand of the life and times of the Great Depression.


Some of my favorite parts have been stories of what it took to cook a meal, the planning, preparations.  That the preparations for Thanksgiving began months before.  How to make marmalade with only one orange but using carrots.  Farm Food, chores, wash day, and life as the seasons changed.  The importance of family and building character.  

It is a book that is rich to read.  I hope you get the chance, you'll have a hard time putting it down :-)


http://www.little-heathens.com/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommend. It was a very interesting read. We can definitely learn a lot from our ancestors!

    ReplyDelete