Thursday, March 17, 2011

So much going on with Pinto Beans!

It's been a while since I've last written and for good reason....I've been learning.

It takes time to learn some things and trial and error is all part of the process.  I won't be able to share everything in one blog session so I'm hoping to share with you what I have been learning over the next few entries.

I'm going to start with one of my new adventures in cooking!

Pinto Beans and Chocolate.
Not something we would usually pair together but once you try it you can't go back :-)

I'm talking about Pinto bean fudge and Pinto bean chocolate cake!  Yup you read it right pinto beans and chocolate.  They are a pairing I will never part.  There is something about the pinto beans that totally bring out the richness of real cocoa that is like no other.  Now since chocolate and I are such good friends I was excited to try something new that I could consider "good" or at least better for me than the traditional recipes.

And Pinto beans are full of all sorts of wonderful things....fiber, protein, and vitamins. And they are the perfect consistency when ground to a powder that I've been able to use it cup for cup instead of wheat flour. (We use as little wheat in our family as possible due to cross contamination issues)  I'll cover the fun of grinding your own flours in another entry!

Ok so pinto beans are such a versatile bean.  I'm the first to admit that I only thought they were good for refried beans and chili.... oh how I have been missing out.  There is a whole world of Pinto bean recipes that show how versatile this little bean is.

Cakes
Burgers
Fudge
Chili's
Many Mexican dishes
Bread
Soups
Stews
and so on.....

I've gotten a lot of my recipes from Healthy Harvest owner Jan LeBaron
This recipe is from her cook book "Jan's Fabulous Food Storage Recipes" 
With her permission, here is her Pinto Bean Fudge recipe.  It didn't last long at our house!

Pinto Bean Fudge
1 cup cooked soft pinto beans (drained and mashed)
1/4 cup milk (can be powdered milk)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2/3 cup baker's cocoa (I used dark chocolate)
1/4 cup water
6 Tablespoons butter
5 cups powdered sugar
Nuts, chopped (optional)

In a large bowl stir beans and milk together, adding enough milk to resemble mashed potatoes; stir in vanilla.  Add chocolate and butter and stir in bean mixture, 1/4 cup water, stir until nice and smooth.  Gradually stir in powdered sugar.  Knead with hands to get it well blended.

Spread into lightly buttered 9 inch baking dish or form into 1 1/2 inch rolls.  Chill 1-2 hours.

We ate it with a spoon after 2 hours...no complaints here!  But if you let it sit overnight it set's a little more and I think it's even richer tasting.  You can only have a little at a time as it's so rich!

Thank you Jan for this!

The Chocolate Cake recipe was from the Country Living Mill web site.  It's listed as a whole wheat recipe but I changed it to Pinto Beans.  Super Yummy!

Chocolate Cake

3 cups Pinto Bean flour
5 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cold water

Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and beat until almost smooth. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30- 45 minutes



3 comments:

  1. Wow how neat! Do you have wheat allergies in your house? I am totally gonna try this I am always looking for ways to use my beans in my food storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to sound grosse but does bean cake give you gas? I was looking for new things to do with beans just today! I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinto beans are so cheap and easy to come by down there too! that brownie recipe is crazy...something I just might have to try. No mill needed for that one.

    ReplyDelete