Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adoption

I watched a movie this weekend and was surprised to find that in the end it was all about adoption, with a bunch of other issues thrown in.

The main character a 39 year old woman who desperately want's a baby of her own.  She is a teacher surrounded by children and her faith  (Jewish) is very prominent.  But to her adoption is not an option.  She herself is a child of adoption and she's always felt as if she was less than, even though her whole family denies it and the actions of the family confirm she is fully theirs.  She is fully her adopted families...but in her mind it can't be true.  When her adoptive mom dies her birth-mother returns to meet her and build a relationship.  But the main character struggles with that relationship as well.  It's the struggle within her that we watch as she wants a baby so much but continues to struggle with infertility.  We watch as she get's pregnant and loses the baby...then tries with the help of her doctor.  As she struggles with the fertility treatments a relationship is begun with her birth-mother.  And like her Mom her birth-mother encourages her to adopt.  When the movie fades back in she is the mother of a beautiful Asian daughter.  Holding and loving her like her own.  Teaching her that there is no different between biological and adopted children.

I completely agree....

I know it's no surprise to anyone who knows me but I loved the ending.  As a mom of both bio and adopted children.  I know for a fact that there is no difference between them.  I'm a little sad that I wasn't at the birth of my adopted children but that doesn't change the fact that they are all mine.  I know each of my children and I love them fully.  They are each special and unique individuals but again they are all mine!  I find it hard to even express because in my mind, heart and actions they all have been here since the beginning.  Adoption just took longer than pregnancy did.  Adoption was on my heart 2 years before we began the process.  In my mother's journals I can look back and I started praying for my Isaiah the week before he was born.  It just took us 22 months to find him.  We got our foster/adoption paperwork approved when Callie was born and we picked her up 3 months later.  They were in our minds and hearts because God knew we were their family.  We had the added blessing of getting to know the birth parents so we actually know a lot of their history.  What a gift that has been to us.  I'll have some answers as they grow older and have questions.  I knew the bonding wouldn't be an issue for me....just because that's the way I'm made. 

God has taught our family that family is so much more than biological.  In turn we have walked with others on their journey's through adoption in the foster system.  It's been so exciting to see the new families that God is creating.  For family is family because God has joined us together into one.

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful to look back and see how God had his perfect plans laid out while you were still wondering, worrying and stumbling. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete