Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Date Night....what?

We are one of "those" couples who try to have a date night, either out or in, once a week.  We enjoy spending time together even if it's just watching a movie at home.  Well last night was suppose to be that night but our date night went horribly domestic...let me explain....

In the mail yesterday we got a red box movie we'd been waiting to see, "Date Night". So it seemed like a natural lead into a date night for my hubby and I.  Pizza for dinner and then off to bed for the kids.  Now with the day I'd had (see previous post) involving a 2.5 hour trip to the Urgent Care and 3 children up before 6am I figured it would be easy to get all 5 kids down to bed or quiet reading early.  Yes, you can laugh at me now!  Because as all parents know, but selectively forget, is that when something like this looks to be a piece of cake, that cake inevitably will end up being flipped on the holder causing a huge mess, laughter or tears :-)  A side effect of my urgent care trip was that the pain meds my little girl was on would make her sleepy so that she wouldn't re-injure her hand.  My only concern was that they cause constipation and that might be a problem the next day. (But I wanted her comfortable first, we could deal with the side effect later) But sleep for a busy injured 2 year old sounded great!

So all looked good until right after pizza when the night began to unfold.  It went something like this....
"Ok guys Mom and Dad are having a movie date night everyone up stairs" ...."I'm not tired"..."it's only 7, I can't sleep this early"...."Mama stinky poopy"(not toward me she really was stinky poopy) So with Daddy riding herd and helping Mom wrangle the crew up stairs and one diaper changed, I was feeling pretty optimistic.  We might actually get to watch a whole movie together!!

We we're allowing the big boys to play legos, Ethan had homework and Zaya had been up since before 6 so he should have crashed.  But alas that was not to be the case....

J and I headed down stairs and started the movie.  Not even through the previews Ethan comes downstairs to get a drink, you know home work for 2 minutes is thirsty stuff, and proceeds to visit with us.  With a stern warning to get his work done he returns up stairs to be replaced by Miss Callie who once again is poopy and wants to play.  Still in previews....I carry her back up stairs change another diaper.  Checking on the boys who are now at war because Zaya is in their room playing lego's too and they are soooo tired (while playing legos) they want him out.  So again I put Zaya to bed and order my sleepy, somewhat manipulative, middle boys to bed.  One starts crying and the other pouts so I call in reinforcements....movie is now paused....within minutes the crier is in the shower to mellow out and the other two are in bed.  Back down stairs we go to restart the movie.  About 5 minutes into it Callie returns and is again "stinky poopy" and demands to be changed immediately while dancing and singing in front of the television.  Soooo another diaper later I just surrender and let her stay downstairs hoping she'll fall asleep on the couch.  We resume our snuggle position and restart the movie.  She wants to play so we ignore her and make it oh about 15 minutes into the movie.  Have you seen it?  It's a funny movie (not for kids).  Well we make it to the part where the husband (Steve Carell) asks his wife (Tina Fey) Why she doesn't light up for him anymore.  It's a serious part of the movie and she begins to list all the things she does (kids up, dressed, breakfast, work etc.) just to fall into bed each night exhausted and she's sorry she just didn't find the time to remember to "light up" for him!  So as she is sharing her frustration....Callie begins the "poopy, stinky" dance again holding out her diaper so we can see she needs changed again....Ethan returns for another drink....and Jason and I just look at each other, laugh, share a quick kiss and turn the movie off.  I change another diaper and Jason, in his great love for me, takes our NOT tired and NOT constipated daughter up to bed with him and I watch the beginning of Dancing with the stars just to follow him up to bed an hour later.

So much for a "Date Night" date night....but in the end we love our life and wouldn't change a thing...we may even try again tonight to finish the movie :-P  lol

2 comments:

  1. wow,...dashed are all my hopes that getting older will help them to stay in their rooms! I loved this post, its fun to look into what your life is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like I'm reading something from out of our own house!...well except our diaper pooper doesn't announce it by dancing. Somehow we always get foiled. It makes those rare uninterrupted occasions that much sweeter. :)

    ReplyDelete